- This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 year, 8 months ago by . This post has been viewed 908 times
FORESTS AND FINANCE: Shifting private sector finance to accelerate forest action
Date & Time: 27 September 2018, 18:30-21:00
Location: Permanent Mission of Germany to the United Nations, 871 United Nations Plaza, New York, NY
Although forests contribute up to a third of climate mitigation solutions, and forest restoration is one of the most effective strategies for carbon drawdown, forests only receive 2% of climate-related mitigation finance. Moreover, public sector finance for drivers of deforestation outpace sustainable forestry finance by 40 to 1, and private sector finance by 140 to 1.
Furthermore, although investors have signaled a readiness to finance forest projects, and many successful forest-based enterprises are seeking finance to grow their activities and impact, viable financial deals to accelerate forest protection, restoration and sustainable management remain few and far between.
This lively, interactive dialogue, organized by the United Nations Development Programme in partnership with the Global Platform for the New York Declaration on Forests, aims to:
• Summarize best available information on green and gray forest finance;
• Showcase forest-based enterprises as an investment- ready opportunity;
• Describe the elements of enabling national policies required to catalyze finance;
• Highlight barriers and solutions in scaling up inclusive, forest-based enterprises through finance; and
• Highlight the role of investors and investor commitments in transforming the finance sector
Two short and interactive dialogues, focusing on barriers, opportunities and strategies for transforming finance, will include representatives from governments, banking and finance, corporations, non-profits and communities.
Please use this discussion page to post questions or comments you have on this topic or any relevant resources. If you are unable to attend the event we will post updates from the event here.0
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.